April 25, 2018 — (Key West, FL). 8 Great Reasons to Roll on over to the Papio Kinetic Sculpture & Art Bike Parade
The third annual Papio Kinetic Sculpture & Art Bike Parade, part of a three-day tribute to late Key Largo rebel folk artist Stanley Papio, is set to launch from the Custom House Museum at 5:00pm, Saturday, May 5. Whether you chose to spectate or create your own kinetic sculpture float or art bike, here are 8 great reasons you should roll yourselves there!
- IT’S FAMILY-FRIENDLY, art-inspired, human-powered fun! Think art with parts that move.
- A CHANCE TO RECYCLE YOUR JUNK WITH YOUR OWN SPECIAL FUNK.Excellent excuse for dumpster diving adventures and recycling your Fantasy Fest costumes and accouterments is just plain brilliant.
- YOU CAN FLAUNT YOUR REBEL SPIRIT!No need to be the next Stanley Papio or Theo Jansen to make your own Kinetic Art Sculpture Float or Art Bike—some creative inclination mixed with a dash of kinetic savvy will do. The only requirement is that they are physically moved by you (and/or a teammate(s)).
- YOUR CONCH CRUISER COULD USE SOME LOVE.Dress up the wheels you’ve got, register your Art Bike and call yourself parade-ready!
- YET ANOTHER REASON TO WEAR A TUTU!And where else are you going to wear that hat?
- YOU CAN GO BAREFOOT AND REWARD YOUR RECYCLING INGENUITY WITH BEER….just like Stanley Papio!
- THERE WILL BE AWARDS! MUSIC! AND DANCING!As the Parade ends, a family-friendly festival and Poi Dog Pondering concert begins at the Truman Waterfront Amphitheater – and admission is FREE for parade registrants!
- IT’S NOT TOO LATE TO REGISTER!$25 for Kinetic Sculpture Teams; $15 for Art Bikes; no charge for KWAHS members (all details, inspiration, and ideas at papiokineticparade.com). All registered participants get FREE admission to a fabulous, ticketed, post-parade festival and concert at the Truman Waterfront Amphitheater!
Here’s the schedule low-down on the roll-down:
FRIDAY, MAY 4: EVENT KICK-OFF WITH AN EXPERT and HAPPY HOUR PARTY.
6:00pm – 7:00pm: Free presentation with Distinguished Speaker Series guest & Kinetic Expert Steve King at the Custom House Museum, 281 Front Street (register now at kwahs.org/events).
7:00pm – 8:00pm: Papio Porch Sunset Happy Hour on the Custom House veranda with beer & wine cash bar.
SATURDAY, MAY 5: PARADE DAY/ FESTIVAL NIGHT
3:00pm – 5:00pm: Parade line-up and festivities adjacent to the Custom House Museum.
5:00pm: Parade kicks off in front of Custom House Museum, rolls down Duval Street, then turns onto Southard Street to the Truman Waterfront Park Amphitheater. (Gates open at 5:00pm for those with tickets who want to watch the parade roll in).
5:30pm – 9:00pm: Post-parade Festival, with feasting, dancing, and fun for all ages.
5:30pm: Music and dancing with DJ Untamed Shane.
6:15pm – 6:30pm: Parade Awards Ceremony.
7:30pm – 9:00pm: Post-parade Festival Concert by Poi Dog Pondering.
SUNDAY, MAY 6: EXPLORE THE EXHIBITION
9:30am-4:30pm: Free entrance to Fort East Martello Museum,home of the “Stanley Papio: Junkyard Rebel” exhibit.
Presented by Key West Art & Historical Society and co-produced by Wonderdog Studios, visit PapioKineticParade.com for more information; kwahs.org/events to register for or purchase event tickets.
Sponsored in part by the Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs, the Florida Council of the Arts and Culture, and the State of Florida. Additional “Papio’s Pals” support provided by the Monroe County Tourist Development Council, Helmerich Trust, Historic Tours of America, Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, Pirate Radio, The Peace Store, Jimmy Lane Real Estate Team, Premier Painting, All Keys Insulation, Camping Florida Keys, Sam Kaufman Law Firm, Papa’s Pilar,Shipyard Brewing Co, Islamorada Brewing Co and South Beach Brewing Co, Tiki House Key West, and Blu on White Vacation Rentals. Your Museums. Your Community. It takes an Island.